Monday 30 March 2015

Parking in disabled spots!





So here is my first official rant! 

After having just written the post on "Disabled or handicapped", I thought I would post the exception to the rule that I mentioned!
Writing the blog reminded me of an incident some time ago when I saw a man get out of a van (parked in a handicapped spot) outside the local Homebase store. He was dressed in all his work gear and had no obvious physical impediment. I watched him walk ...just to make sure (remember I'm a physio and studying peoples gaits is one of my favorite pastimes!) and went up to him and asked him if he realized that he had parked in a handicapped spot marked very obviously with a wheelchair. He looked rather taken aback that someone had approached him on the subject and after a moment's hesitation said that he had come to pick someone up who was a blue badge holder. 

So I let him go into the shop...but... I followed him (no I'm not usually a stalker!).
As he walked around the shop I followed. As he went up and down each aisle, I followed and after he had been in the shop about 15 minutes I went up to him again and asked him if he had found the person who he had come to pick up. He looked very embarrassed and didn't know what to say apart from some mumbled excuses. As I walked away, I remember saying something that vaguely resembled that I wished that he never had the opportunity in the future of having to use a handicapped spot officially.  

At least this man wasn't a real in your face jerk about it like some of the people I have confronted... like the gamblers going into the betting shop so that they can make a quick bet! Or the dudes in the massive 4 x4 at the service station on the motorway. I can count and count and continue counting the times that I have approached people on this subject. Many of which have received very different reactions and excuses. 


Stupidity Is Not A Handicap!, Park Elsewhere! Sign, 24" x 18"
I even resorted to trawling the internet to find the picture above and printed a whole bunch of them out and put them into my car ready to stick on peoples windscreens. Thankfully I haven't come across such insensitive individuals as of late and haven't had the opportunity to use one yet!

After my last post (Here) I am highly aware that there are hidden disabilities and handicaps that people have to live with...so I realize that people who use handicapped parking places may be able to walk with no impediment. However, you can spot the ones who just like to take advantage of a quick parking spot a mile off. It makes the blood boil to see someone steal the only way some people have to access shops and public services. What selfish behavior!

I guess the moral of this post is:

Think first, and please choose your parking space wisely ... remember that handicapped parking spots are there for a reason... to make life easier for those who need them... not for the convenience of everyone! 
And to those out there who abuse these privileges, beware ...or you may see a mad woman (in more ways than one) following you around ready to pounce!

Jx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...