Wednesday 24 June 2015

There must needs be "opposites" in all things



(This was written three weeks ago on my way to Malta)

Following my last post on laughter.... I actually don't feel like laughing right now (probably should though).
I'm sitting on an airplane having sprinted to the gate to catch our flight to Malta (a last minute surprise respite trip with my two youngest children). We turned up at the plane at about 6.45am (when all the signs said the the gate was closing at 6.25.... needles to say the gate wasn't closed and we have been waiting 15 minutes for everyone else to sprint here in a stressed out state too.... silly signs!
Today is feeling like the last 48 hours..... frustrating, rushed and stressed!

Hubby is working away this half term week  in the States (U.S) and we have a care worker  available to look after Heni for the whole week. Yippee! Rather than stay home we decided to book a last minute holiday... just me, "daughter no. 2" and "the hungry boy".


Unfortunately last minute prep is always stressful for me... clothes to wash and iron (or in the case of daughter no 2... no clothes so a 5 hour long shopping trip!), food to stock up on so Heni et al can eat, supplies from the health food shop (so we can eat on holiday), luggage to buy (because the holdalls had rips in them when I got them out of storage), tickets to confirm, insurance to buy and credit cards to authorize... oh and no sleep last night for worry over the car not turning up to pick us up for the airport at 5 am this morning! To top it off, I thought the agent who booked the flight had asked regarding food preferences on board but its looking like we have to buy on board supplies.... so there will be no gluten free/ dairy free breakfast for us. Just chips!! 


Oh and there is the mandatory baby screaming away a few rows behind us.
If the worry of leaving, and Heni being well enough is not enough, then I guess all the rest has made up for it.... oh and the hungry boy has a window seat with no window in!


 not posed!

I don't particularly like flying at the best of times but it is a necessary passage to be able to escape England and experience the week ahead exploring in the sun, chilling by the beach and in the pool!
It feels like maybe life is exactly the same... we have to experience some adversity to be able to enjoy  and appreciate the good stuff.

 Ecclesiasteses says it best :


 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

and I'd like to add .....A time to STRESS and a time to CHILL! 

There is also another scripture that I like that illustrates  this...

"It must needs be that there is opposition (or opposites) in all things: even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life, the one being sweet and the other bitter" (2 Nephi 2:15)
  
So life is full of lulls and storms, stress and calm, rushing for flights and enjoying holidays... I guess without the bitter we can't ever fully appreciate the sweet that life has to give. Without the mad rush and stress, the lounging on the recliner loses its savour!
So, as I sit here writing on the plane I have an inkling that I really should go and re read the previous post on "laughter" right now to remind myself to see the funny side of the situation. Maybe that will evaporate all the adrenalin and stress of the last few days and get me in the frame of mind to tackle the challenges of navigating in the rental car through Maltese traffic!
  
Here's hoping  after the stress will come the opposite..... a week of sweet delights in Malta. 

Let the holiday fun begin...

Jx
....more to come on "respite fun in Malta" and "Eating out with food intolerances"... oh and a book review (if I ever get to start and finish the book this week)

P.S
As I look back on the post as I am about to put it up on the blog I am reminded of  something that my Yorkshire mother would have said. When things would get stressful and everything was in a "tizzy", I would often hear her say "It will all work out in the wash!" 
And it's true...the major and the minor...all have a way of working out right.... if not immediately, things will eventually be  all OK in the end... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...